Campground Raiding 2.0

Do you play Game! too? Maybe you should discuss it in here.

The new raid changes are...

Better than sliced bread!
3
38%
Great, but needs _______, which I'll describe below.
1
13%
Bad sounding, but maybe they'll grow on me...
0
No votes
Worse than clubbing baby seals.
1
13%
I don't raid, you insensitive clod!
3
38%
 
Total votes: 8

Wally
Regular Poster
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:53 pm
Location: Hungary

Re: Raids 2.0

Post by Wally » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:50 am

Rick wrote:Having had a couple of weeks to experiment with the new Raid features I thought I would offer my 2 cents.
Wow! These (the ones I deleted :) ) are all great ideas!

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:43 pm

I've been thinking about a way to have players put raidable gold into their campgrounds somehow, but I was drawing blanks on how exactly it should work. Initially I was thinking that you would invest in it somehow, but that doesn't really make sense with regards to being able to plunder, as it wouldn't be in plain old gold form anymore. I also put some thought into being able to invest raidable items into campgrounds, but I think the treasure chest idea is much better. To extend your idea a little, I think putting gold in your treasure chest would increase your opulence, thus increasing the number of raids you get per day (beyond your current maximum, even). However, the opulence bonus you get would be based on how recently you invested the gold in your treasure chest, so if you make no further contributions, your opulence bonus would drop off sharply. This also addresses the issue of getting more raids per day (it's also riskier). Of course you'd still be unable to remove the gold from your treasure chest, but it would be raidable.

As for offensive and defensive raids, I'm not sure I see the point. If retaliation raids subtract from both, then an attack and subsequent retaliation would leave both parties missing 1 offensive and defensive raid each, meaning it would actually work more like 1.0 than 2.0 (since others would be able to attack the attacker in the mean time, and you wouldn't be guaranteed the retaliation). Oh, unless retaliation raids are "free", then after an attack and subsequent retaliation, the original aggressor would be missing one offensive raid and the original defender would be missing one defensive raid. This would effectively double the number of raids that one can participate in per day (half offensive and half defensive), I can see how that would remove the midnight blitz advantage, as you'd still be open to raids all day. Hmm...

Having raid points on the line for the attacker probably makes sense too, I'll probably add that.

Terrific Noise
Regular Poster
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:01 am

Post by Terrific Noise » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 am

You should be able to throw items in the chest too.

Frigginwillie
Regular Poster
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:52 pm

Post by Frigginwillie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:27 pm

Terrific Noise wrote:You should be able to throw items in the chest too.
Ya. I have a ton of flashlights that just won't go away... :D
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Tegid
Regular Poster
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:19 am

Post by Tegid » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:06 am

I've become rather bitter about the whole raiding thing... I get raided plenty, but don't seem to be able to steal anything back from anyone, and when I try I just lose my equipment by accidentally dropping it at an enemy campsite. Now I don't even try to raid anymore, and usually forget to put my money in the bank, which doesn't help... Any tips for raiding success? It seems more trouble than it's worth at this point.

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Tegid wrote:I've become rather bitter about the whole raiding thing... I get raided plenty, but don't seem to be able to steal anything back from anyone, and when I try I just lose my equipment by accidentally dropping it at an enemy campsite. Now I don't even try to raid anymore, and usually forget to put my money in the bank, which doesn't help... Any tips for raiding success? It seems more trouble than it's worth at this point.
If you don't have a fully decked out campground, then it's important to take advantage of your rage, it makes a substantial difference in your attack power, and your opponent may very well have a fully decked out campground. The news update for rage has a full explanation if you haven't seen it before. Also worth noting is that your pets contribute to your campground's power, thus leveling them up also increases your campground's power.

Though, if you let your campground get completely decimated (all improvements destroyed), you'll be unraidable until you rebuild. You can use this to stock up on campground improvements, or withdraw from raiding completely.

keybounce
Regular Poster
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by keybounce » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:50 pm

So I just tried my first raid.

With a white picket fence in my campground, and my pet ghost with me, I had opulence 3, raids remaining 1.

I chose a L9 character, did a raid.

Got an error message: You are not vengeful enough to raid anymore (or something like that).

No message about "raid successful" or "unsuccessful".

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:38 pm

keybounce wrote:So I just tried my first raid.

With a white picket fence in my campground, and my pet ghost with me, I had opulence 3, raids remaining 1.

I chose a L9 character, did a raid.

Got an error message: You are not vengeful enough to raid anymore (or something like that).

No message about "raid successful" or "unsuccessful".
That means your chosen victim has already run out of raids for the day, and you don't have any retaliation raids pending for them. You might find these news updates educational:

http://wittyrpg.com/news/198/Campground_changes
http://wittyrpg.com/news/199/New_food,_ ... et_revenge

keybounce
Regular Poster
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by keybounce » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:17 am

Then why would they show up as "Raidable" in the dropdown "Choose your target" list?

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:49 pm

keybounce wrote:Then why would they show up as "Raidable" in the dropdown "Choose your target" list?
Their raids might have been consumed (by someone else) between the time you hit that page and clicked the raid button. Were they still listed in the "raidable" group after you attempted raiding them?

Also worth reading: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=572

keybounce
Regular Poster
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Retalliation raid

Post by keybounce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:10 am

I got raided by TehLinuxKing before 12 EST. I came on after 12, and did what I thought would be a retaliation.

Neither raid did any damage. But my raid wasn't "free" -- my raids today went from 1 to zero.

Am I misunderstanding how raids work? Do retalliations go away at midnight? Is there now a bonus for raiding as close to just before midnight as possible (while before the bonus was just after midnight)?

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Retalliation raid

Post by Mad Merlin » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:38 am

keybounce wrote:I got raided by TehLinuxKing before 12 EST. I came on after 12, and did what I thought would be a retaliation.

Neither raid did any damage. But my raid wasn't "free" -- my raids today went from 1 to zero.

Am I misunderstanding how raids work? Do retalliations go away at midnight? Is there now a bonus for raiding as close to just before midnight as possible (while before the bonus was just after midnight)?
Retaliations do in fact only last for the day and go away at midnight. It isn't really like the advantage imparted by raiding right after midnight in the previous system though, but I do see where you're coming from.

keybounce
Regular Poster
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm

Post by keybounce » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:52 pm

And now one more imbalance in the current system.

TehLinuxKing gave me one more raid; this time, I'm back on the same day.

But he doesn't show up in the list of raidable or non-raidable people. My guess is that she/he leveled up out of my retaliation range.

So, you could start your day raiding someone two levels below you, and then level up and get away scott free.

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:39 pm

keybounce wrote:And now one more imbalance in the current system.

TehLinuxKing gave me one more raid; this time, I'm back on the same day.

But he doesn't show up in the list of raidable or non-raidable people. My guess is that she/he leveled up out of my retaliation range.

So, you could start your day raiding someone two levels below you, and then level up and get away scott free.
That's true, I can probably fix that one without too much trouble.

User avatar
Mad Merlin
Site Admin
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:41 pm
Contact:

Post by Mad Merlin » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Mad Merlin wrote:
keybounce wrote:And now one more imbalance in the current system.

TehLinuxKing gave me one more raid; this time, I'm back on the same day.

But he doesn't show up in the list of raidable or non-raidable people. My guess is that she/he leveled up out of my retaliation range.

So, you could start your day raiding someone two levels below you, and then level up and get away scott free.
That's true, I can probably fix that one without too much trouble.
This is fixed now. If you have rage towards someone, you can continue to raid them, even if the level difference is greater than 3.

Post Reply