Game! Sidebar Firefox AddOn v0.2 Released

Didn't find your forum yet? Maybe this is it.
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

Make sure you have the latest version installed. It will say 0.2 but it is really 0.3. I need to fix the version numbering.

Only the Drop stats are working, and they are not very well implemented at this point.

I'm not quite sure about the rest of your problems. I've never seen anything like that before. The "can't find file" issue is normally when the Sidebar wants to "adventure again" in an area that you didn't just adventure in.

To get it to work, fill in the Area where you'll be fighting in the Area box. Put in a Stamina limit in the Stamina box. Check the Level Up box. Leave the Exclude Spell/Skill and Drop boxes blank. Check the Enabled box. Then go and fight in the area that you filled in the Area box. That *should* make it work. If not, PM me and we can chat in more detail about the problems you're having with the Sidebar.
--Will aka Smelly Steve
rixkix
Regular Poster

Post by rixkix »

Is there a way to get it to use the Murderous Rage skill before a fight?
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

Not yet. Your best bet is to just cast it a bunch of times so you build up a reserve and then set your stamina limit so it won't run out before you can cast it again. Be aware that the effects of Murderous Rage and War Cry have an off by one error so you won't get your last turn with them.
--Will aka Smelly Steve
null
Regular Poster

Post by null »

Having made something similar (but in Java) I suggest you add a stop-if-health-drops-below-X-percent option.

Also the extension stops doing its job if Firefox looses focus or if you open another tab. This can be annoying if you don't enjoy looking at the same fights over and over and want to leave it in the background.
Hyppy
Regular Poster

Post by Hyppy »

I've noticed that on my install (Ubuntu 9.04, FF 3.0.10), I do not lose focus if I open another Firefox window. You can't type, because the cursor will lose focus every second or so, but you can browse without interrupting the sidebar's action.
null
Regular Poster

Post by null »

Strange... I also have ubuntu 9.04 (64bit) and firefox 3.0.10.

I also tried it on windows vista with firefox 3.0.10 and had the same problems.
Hyppy
Regular Poster

Post by Hyppy »

Did you open another window or another tab?
null
Regular Poster

Post by null »

Tried both I think.

The weirdest thing here in my opinion is that it stops working if I give focus to any other program.
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

The focus thing is just a side effect of the way that Firefox handles the onload event. I'm sure there are probably many other ways I could have written this thing, but at this point it is tied to onload which doesn't seem to fire if (one of) the browser window(s) does not have focus. Until the recent discussion in this thread, I wasn't aware of the capability to browse in another window while the sidebar continues on in the original window.

Anyway, all of this isn't something I plan to change any time too soon for several reasons.
  • Game! is fun to play. If the action was happening in a program that didn't allow you to observe what was happening, it would take something important away from the experience.
  • The sidebar isn't foolproof. My characters have died plenty of times from various combinations of my own stupidity and sidebar functionality. If you're not watching (or at least able to watch), then you lose even more control over what's going on.
  • The data gathering, archiving, and display range from bad to not implemented. If you want to see what's going on with regard to monsters, drops, etc then you have to pay at least a little attention while the sidebar grinds away.
So, maybe at some point the sidebar will have a "background" mode where it will do its thing while you multitask. I'd put that a ways down on the feature list after beefing up the algorithm for executing the battles, healing, etc. Once I'm confident that the chances of the sidebar killing a bunch of characters is reasonably low, then this may well bubble to the top.

Thanks for your feedback!
--Will aka Smelly Steve
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

How do you stop the sidebar from playing on even if you see a disaster about to strike?

Where's the "Abort" button to return control to you?
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

Uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox
--Will aka Smelly Steve