reserve items

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!
Rux
Regular Poster

reserve items

Post by Rux »

in the inventory it would be cool if there was another option to reserve the checked items. the reserve price would be based off my markup rate of course.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Reserve prices

Post by keybounce »

I would like it if when I go to sell an object, the game would tell me the best reserve price on that object.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: Reserve prices

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:I would like it if when I go to sell an object, the game would tell me the best reserve price on that object.
Well, yes, most sellers would. However, most buyers wouldn't.

I think the current situation is the fairest, sellers use prices that they they think are fair, and buyers use prices that they think is fair. By revealing the reserve prices, you'd have sellers just sell at the maximum prices instead, so I make a point of not revealing the reserve prices.

I guess I could have an option to make your reserve price public, it would bring a bit of a new element to item reservation, I wonder if people would use it...
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

So let me see if I get this right:

As a seller, I put something for sale at a specified, public price.
But the buyer's request price isn't public?

Why not have both public? Or why not have both hidden?

There is one for sale. Make an offer. Oh, your offer wasn't good enough, you didn't get it.

Yes, make the option for the buyer at least; that way, the buyer has the ability to get the offer filled.

For that matter, if I want to sell something, why not tell me "There is a reserve for this at the market", and give me the chance to offer it to them.

Tell me if there is another "for sale" in the market, and the price; tell me if it can be purchased at the item shop, and the price. Some items, I've found, once you add in the 50 gold market fee cannot be sold at the market -- you make more selling to the random vendors, unless you are charging more than the item shop charges.

(Did I mention that I'm still low level? :-)
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:So let me see if I get this right:

As a seller, I put something for sale at a specified, public price.
But the buyer's request price isn't public?

Why not have both public? Or why not have both hidden?

There is one for sale. Make an offer. Oh, your offer wasn't good enough, you didn't get it.

Yes, make the option for the buyer at least; that way, the buyer has the ability to get the offer filled.
I think the Swap Shop and the Market fill both niches that you're describing. The Swap Shop is more about haggling and making bigger trades, or item for item trades, it requires that you put some items up, wait for an offer and then accept or decline the offer(s), and all the offers are public.

The Market is more about instant gratification, there's a list of items for a set price, and you buy until you run out of gold or you have everything you need. Sometimes the Market doesn't have what you're looking for, and that's where the reservation system comes into play. In other words, the main purpose (in my mind) of the reservation system is to automate the otherwise manual process of scanning the market for an item of <= price x and buying it. The other side benefit of the reservation system is that it allows sellers to know what items are in demand.

Given the volume of Market usage vs Swap Shop usage (just look at how much is on sale in either at any given time), I think it's safe to say that most people prefer the Market approach.
keybounce wrote:For that matter, if I want to sell something, why not tell me "There is a reserve for this at the market", and give me the chance to offer it to them.

Tell me if there is another "for sale" in the market, and the price; tell me if it can be purchased at the item shop, and the price.
The item descriptions do mention the item's current Market status. That is, how many (if any) are on reserve, and if there's one already available, the price and the option to buy it directly without having to separately visit the Market. Try clicking on an item name in your Inventory, the Market, the Swap Shop...

Also, it might not be obvious if it hasn't happened to you before, but if you sell something on the Market that meets someone else's reservation criteria, it'll be sold to them immediately.

Though, the item descriptions don't have the option of selling the item directly through the item description, and they don't mention the Item Shop.
keybounce wrote:Some items, I've found, once you add in the 50 gold market fee cannot be sold at the market -- you make more selling to the random vendors, unless you are charging more than the item shop charges.
You'd be surprised. Ask Rux how many Scrolls of Wisdom #1 he's sold at the Market. (You may have noticed already that Rux is quite fond of high markups.)
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Isn't a scroll of wisdom #1 one of those things that is cheaper in the item shop than in the market?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:Isn't a scroll of wisdom #1 one of those things that is cheaper in the item shop than in the market?
Yes.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

And he makes a big profit just reselling on the market?!?

Dubya the elf?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:And he makes a big profit just reselling on the market?!?

Dubya the elf?
Yep. I think it's a convenience thing, people want scrolls and you can only get #1 at the Item Shop, but you can get all of them (sometimes) at the Market.
Rux
Regular Poster

plain toast

Post by Rux »

i just sold 3 plain toasts for 305 each
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

So I'm not going to use the item vendor again :-).
Wally
Regular Poster

it's the market

Post by Wally »

Rux wrote:i just sold 3 plain toasts for 305 each
Yes, but these things are always fresher and more delicious at the market than in shops.
kariloy
Regular Poster

Post by kariloy »

Also... (and only market related) I said it before and I say it again... there should be a "offer for sale" button for each item currently at the market that you also own! it would make setting items for sale easier (and undercutting) than going through the motions of drop-down lists :s yes, long drop-down lists make me dizzy :s And although I'm more than a buyer than a seller... that could change... eventually... if this (and other tweaks) would just be implemented...
Does this sig makes me look fat?
thehobbit
Regular Poster

Post by thehobbit »

As it stands currently, it makes little sense to me that the buyer's reserve price in the Market is hidden. I'm not advocating making it public. Presently, it's easy to put an item up for sale at a high price and see if it meets someone's reserve; if not, remove the item and try again at 15,000 less. Rinse and repeat. At a cost of 50g per attempt, you can do this quite freely without losing any considerable/significant portion of money.

A possible solution to this (unless there's another one I'm unaware of) is that, in order to take an item OFF of the market prematurely, you pay 5% of your requested price to the Market. So if I see that someone has My Favorite Trinket on reserve and I attempt to insta-sell it for 100,000g, fail to insta-sell it, and then remove the item to attempt the same thing again but at 80,000g, then I have to pay a 5,000g fee to the Market for removing the item the first time (and another 4,000g if I remove the second attempt, too).

Anyhow, just my 2 cents.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Frankly, I want to see the reserve prices listed publicly.

I'm of the opinion that more information makes markets function better, and permit speculation.