Death is hard.

Balance problems? Two legs are better than one!
keybounce
Regular Poster

Death is hard.

Post by keybounce »

It is very easy for a level 1 mage to die in zone 1.

By the time you've got a poverty set, level 2, blaze, and are fighting in the level 2 zone it is very hard to intentionally die.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Even if you don't heal?
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Well, yea, eventually if you don't heal. I mean, I could strip nekid.

But I think I was actually killing stuff in zone 2 bare handed. (Taking a lot of damage, yes, but still killing).

In any event, this isn't supposed to be a "no healer" character, this is supposed to be a lemming impersonator.

Easy zone: Kill them all.
Level 1: Actually a challenge. No armor until you finish that first quest.
Level 2, with poverty set: Too easy.
Level 2, with tinier shield instead: Still easy.

Oh yea -- if you lose enough XP, you don't drop down a level.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

It seems like a lemming impersonator shouldn't heal...
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Here's the balance issue.

1. Level 0 mage in the easy zone is easy. No problem. Did it with just one found piece of toast (for one HP), and got a full free heal for zone 1.
2. By the time you're in zone 1, with no equipment, or just a single piece, you have a real hard time killing anything in zone 1, and cannot afford to buy anything. If you do kill something, the healing bill is more than your income.
3. If you get the poverty set from spamming zone zero, you are then overkill for zone one, zone two, and zone three. Even a mage doing hand to hand.

For what it's worth, a fighter continues to have that same imbalance -- way overpowered for the zone when equipped even partially for the level -- for almost the entire game that I've seen so far (at least level 18). No risk == no challenge == less entertaining than nethack.

My point of a lemming impersonator is to try to see how much I can die without deliberately handicapping myself. No using the gigantic first quest. Healing after fighting, at least if I can afford it.