Pets

Do you play Game! too? Maybe you should discuss it in here.
Lamoni
Regular Poster

Pets

Post by Lamoni »

Okay, I understand the idea of pets. They are supposed to benefit you in some way. However, I am stumped and can't see any difference with some of them. Could someone help me out? Or are they meant to be kept secret? (If they are, feel free to delete this post).

Black Knight, Blood Sucking Alien help beat up your opponents
Typical Ghost helps you get critical hits
Leprechaun gives you more gold

Now, we have Generic Animal Companion #2. He sniffs around the corpses, but I don't see how this helps me.
Pony just seems to tag along and do nothing.
Same thing with stfrn|away, he does nothing (however I admit to not trying this one as a fighter.)

The ideas I had were:
Does one give more experience and I just didn't notice?
Does one raise the probability to get items? to get food?
Do any make it harder for others to raid your campground?

Any answers would be appreciated. If you have no answers, further speculation would ok too.
Nina
Regular Poster

Pets

Post by Nina »

The pony helps you escape faster.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

All pets help you in some way. Some are less obvious than others.

Having said that, your speculation is on the right track.
OtherBob
Regular Poster

Re: Pets

Post by OtherBob »

Lamoni wrote:Okay, I understand the idea of pets. They are supposed to benefit you in some way. However, I am stumped and can't see any difference with some of them. Could someone help me out? Or are they meant to be kept secret? (If they are, feel free to delete this post).

Black Knight, Blood Sucking Alien help beat up your opponents
Typical Ghost helps you get critical hits
Leprechaun gives you more gold

Now, we have Generic Animal Companion #2. He sniffs around the corpses, but I don't see how this helps me.
Pony just seems to tag along and do nothing.
Same thing with stfrn|away, he does nothing (however I admit to not trying this one as a fighter.)

The ideas I had were:
Does one give more experience and I just didn't notice?
Does one raise the probability to get items? to get food?
Do any make it harder for others to raid your campground?

Any answers would be appreciated. If you have no answers, further speculation would ok too.

--- SPOILERS ----
Do not read if you want to figure out everything yourself

So far I have found only the ghost and lephrachan to be usefull. Ghost doesn't improve your chance to crit, rather he increases your crit damage by double (double 1.5 = 3.0). Over time the Ghost seems to increase my fighter's damage output far more than any other pet, even seedy knight. I haven't noticed any of the other pets reducing my damage taken, it seems like no matter what pet I take, overall damage output (and therefore, less damage taken) is best with the ghost.

A leprechaun increases gold (most used by mage). Pony seems to make you 100% chance to run. I'm really stumped on what exactly the generic animal does, I'm pretty sure it's getting extra food (at least it seems that way)

Pets _do_ increase your potential to both raid and defend. If you notice your campground has 2 stats, Opulence and Power. Your Power is determined by pets at campground defending and opulence is determined by your items. I haven't tried any organized testing to see if any pet is better while raiding but I always take one of the variations of the black knight along. I've raided someone and not able to damage them without a pet, but with a level 8 pony was able to hit them, so I'm guessing it's something along the line of level + (pet level * modifier) = damage potential compared to level + opulence + pets defending.
Wally
Regular Poster

Fairy and GAC#2

Post by Wally »

This is probably spoilerish...

These two seem to be the non-obvious ones so far. My new friend, the fairy seems to slightly raise to probability of finding non-food items, and my trusty old GAC#2 seems to do the same with food. But the change seems so small that it may be just wishful thinking. Is it?

Also, what is pretty annoying that they both seem to do something (the fairy wastes her precious dust and the GAC is just sniffing around aimlessly), but then nothing happens. Is this intentional? At least whenever the leprechaun dances, there is more money coming in.
Rux
Regular Poster

dance!

Post by Rux »

my leprechaun is at 37,232 EXP. he's gone through 1,543 pairs of shoes from all the dancing. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

the fairy is my second most used (16,399 EXP) because rare items are very rare.

Everything else is below 900exp. they're useful if you're in that situation where they're useful. :)

pony helps escape
black knight detective shows enemy's hp remaining
if i recall. i think some pet does help with exp. can't remember it's been so long.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: Fairy and GAC#2

Post by Mad Merlin »

Wally wrote:Also, what is pretty annoying that they both seem to do something (the fairy wastes her precious dust and the GAC is just sniffing around aimlessly), but then nothing happens. Is this intentional? At least whenever the leprechaun dances, there is more money coming in.
Hey, just because they're working their magic doesn't mean it has a 100% success rate...
Wally
Regular Poster

Post by Wally »

Mad Merlin wrote:Hey, just because they're working their magic doesn't mean it has a 100% success rate...
Yeah, that's the problem. I love items. :)
hughperkins
Regular Poster

Post by hughperkins »

It seems that pets such as the ghost only help when you do physical attacks? Magical attacks are not assisted by the pets?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

hughperkins wrote:It seems that pets such as the ghost only help when you do physical attacks? Magical attacks are not assisted by the pets?
A number of pets only help you when you're using physical attacks, though there are a few that help magical attacks as well. Some other pets help regardless of what kind of attack you use, also.

The ghost does indeed only help with physical attacks, though.
Wally
Regular Poster

Post by Wally »

Now I have a feeling that the GAC#2 does not get me more food, but more sticks. Where is the Illustrated Official Game! Guide that I can order from Amazon (actually grab from The Pirate Bay)? I need it! :)
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Wally wrote:Now I have a feeling that the GAC#2 does not get me more food, but more sticks. Where is the Illustrated Official Game! Guide that I can order from Amazon (actually grab from The Pirate Bay)? I need it! :)
I hear it's on back order. There was so much demand the Amazon servers were overwhelmed and crashed.
Ludicrous
Regular Poster

Post by Ludicrous »

Well... any hints in there what the witch is actually doing? I leveled the old hag to level 15, but still she's not moving a crumpled finger for me... well, at least she can play with my other pets while I am away with ye good olde Leprechaun.
Wally
Regular Poster

witch

Post by Wally »

Ludicrous wrote:Well... any hints in there what the witch is actually doing?
Oh, this is easy. :) First hint: She's willing to help only mages. Second hint (select the following with your mouse): look at your stats, then get rid of the leprechaun and take the witch with you (no matter how much the black knights will miss her). Now look at your stats again.

Hope it helps. In return, you can tell me what the GAC#2 and the Fairy do exactly. :wink:
Ludicrous
Regular Poster

Post by Ludicrous »

Ah, right.... can't believe I missed that.... I think I was so much used to my Black Knight riding out to battle on his noble steed that I didn't expect a stat change (instead of my witch boldly riding out on her broom roasting some evil)...

What the fairy and the GAC#2 are doing... well... hmm... sniffing around and sprinkling some dust, certainly... besides that? I believe nobody really knows (besides, of course, HIMSELF).

Ludicrous