Fighter abilities

Balance problems? Two legs are better than one!
keybounce
Regular Poster

Fighter abilities

Post by keybounce »

I really think fighter abilities are too expensive for what they do.

Example: Fighting a thug in the red light district, I can kill with 5 regular hits, or 2 gruntier swings, 2 grunty swings, and then I'm out of mana. A 5th regular swing kills.

This seems typical -- the amount of mana needed to save one strike is huge, and then I'm out. It rarely is even one strike savings.
thousandinone
Regular Poster

Post by thousandinone »

Actually, I think Fighter's abilities lend themselves well to a whole different layer of strategy.

Do you go for as much strength and damage per attack as possible? This gives you some seriously strong special attacks that you can use a few times, and a reliable normal attack.

Or do you sacrifice some strength for more mana? Sure, your specials and normal attacks won't hit as hard, but you're able to pull off more specials. Depending on what you're fighting, this could work out to be a net gain in terms of fights before death.

I've also found that for 'boss' type fights in some quests, A shield can be more beneficial than a lefty weapon; More mileage out of your health pots. And yeah, on 'boss' fights you'll be draining your mana...
vex
Regular Poster

Post by vex »

I actually think that the fighter abilities are balanced enough for the mana. Make a few regular hits + a special one usually is enough for me, but then again I always try to max my critical hit percentage using accessoaries and pets.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

But as I said, I can either use 5 normal attacks, or 5 enhanced attacks and drain all my mana; either way, it's 5 attacks.

And that seems to be the case on almost all of my fights -- at best, using all my mana saves me one strike, and if I rely on that, I have to heal every fight.
thousandinone
Regular Poster

Post by thousandinone »

With my fighter, level 35...

I have enough mana to use my strongest special twice, with enough mana to use my second strongest afterwards.

I can use my strongest special once. and then regular attacks against a foe, and kill him in 3 hits, 2 if either attack crits, assuming no misses.

If I use my strongest special twice, it will kill enemies of my level in two hits regardless of crits.

If I just use regular attacks, it takes ~5 hits to kill. If I get three crits in a row, 3 hits, one or two crits in the fight drops it to 4 hits, no crits makes it 5 hits

So What I usually do is Strongest special, regular attack till dead, strongest special, regular attack till dead, second strongest special, regular attack till dead, then check my health. If I still have enough health to weather 3 crits from whatever I'm fighting, I spam regular attacks and recheck. When I drop below the 3 crit threshold, I heal.

Works out pretty well, I usually get 5-6 fights in before I have to heal. If I get no crits whatsoever, 4 fights. Getting very lucky on crits and enemy misses, I've pulled off 14 fights without healing, although I was level 34 at the time...