Sets

Balance problems? Two legs are better than one!
Will
Regular Poster

Sets

Post by Will »

I'm playing a level 43 Fighter and I can't stop using the Snake Skin Set and Gigantic Critical Charm, which I started using soon after level 28. I just can't deal out enough damage with either the Golfing Set or the Porcupine Set. I need the critical hit boost that I get from the Snake Skin Set and Gigantic Critical Charm combination.

This is frustrating, because it looks like there's other sets out there that should allow me to deal more damage, but because of the decrease in my critical hit percentage, they just can't compete.

The reason I see this as a balance issue is twofold. First, the Sets don't seem to be balanced. Since some sets fill the Accessory slot, they force out the Gigantic Critical Charm. Second, the Set imbalance causes an imbalance in the character classes. The Fighter has to rely heavily on weapon and critical hit upgrades to increase damage. The Mage, however, rarely uses weapons and can rely on spells and defensive ability.

Basically, the Gigantic Critical Charm is the crack cocaine of the Fighter class. My Mage is only up to level 29, so I'm not sure if they have a similar issue with the Gigantic Magical Charm at higher levels.
--Will aka Smelly Steve
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

Will wrote:I just can't deal out enough damage with either the Golfing Set or the Porcupine Set.
I find that a bit hard to believe because I handily went from Snake to Porcupine to Golfing. Have you purchased Improved Double Swing? At level 43 you should have enough mana to take most of a monster's HP with three IDS strikes and mop up the rest with a Double Swing or two.

The GCC is a wonderful tool, but Game!, like much of life, is all about tradeoffs. All the below attack numbers are generated with War Cry+Murderous Rage in effect. Note that the large changes in attack occur because the attack increase from those two spells depends heavily on your base attack.

My current equipment:
  • Sassy Hat
  • Lob Wedge
  • Putter
  • Spiked Armo<s>u</s>r
  • Golf Glove
Lets consider some options:
  • The current set I'm wearing gives me: _________________________________2,803 attack, 420 defense and 40% Critical.
  • If I switch to a GCC, my stats drop to: _________________________________2,595 attack, 384 defense and 40% Critical.
  • The incomplete Snake Set (a Lefty Snake instead of shield) and a GCC give me: __2,337 attack, 339 defense, and 40% Critical.
  • If I were to equip the full Snake Set (using shield) and a GCC, my stats would be: _2,140 attack, 397 defense and 55% Critical.
Conclusion: Unless I wear the full Snake Set + GCC I am left with 40% Critical in all cases. Comparing the best of what I listed above with the 55% critical option I see that I give up 663 attack, and 23 defense for 15% Critical. At this point the debate is more a matter of personal opinion and mine is that the points I lose in attack and defense by trying to get 55% Critical are not worth the extra 15% to my Critical hits.

While I also lamented the drop in Critical from the godly 70% of Samurai Set + GCC, I've learned to adapt and so far fail to see any over-arching balance issues. Please share your thoughts, however, because if you take a peek at the Pimp or High Class sets the Critical % is only going to drop.
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

You make a good point. I have to admit that I have not used Murderous Rage as much as I probably should. Taking more damage made me nervous and I haven't used it much the past few levels. I do always have War Cry in effect. I'll give that a try and see if it doesn't resolve my issues.

I've been taking the TG, BN, and MBN with me. I haven't figured out which one helps me the most, but I'm pretty sure it is either TG or MBN.

From what I've seen, the damage boost from incremental improvements in base attack pale in comparison to the damage boost from critical hits, especially with an appropriate pet.

Again, this has been with War Cry but without Murderous Rage. When I am refreshed tomorrow, I'll give the Rage a try and see if that helps my situation.

Oh, and I've yet to see any items from the Pimp set drop. Golfing is the best set from which I have any items.
--Will aka Smelly Steve
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

At this point, as a Fighter, you have 1,000+ HP - a bit of extra damage from Murderous Rage is the last thing that's going to kill you.
Will wrote:I've been taking the TG, BN, and MBN with me. I haven't figured out which one helps me the most, but I'm pretty sure it is either TG or MBN.
In my opinion, none of those pets will help you as much as a Leprechaun. Ultimately it's a little difficult to gather stats for a final word on the question since both critical hits (that end the fight faster and thus lower the price of healing) and the Leprechaun's ability have a percent chance of occurring and the effects of both vary in their potency. So, you know, whatever you think works best.
Will wrote:From what I've seen, the damage boost from incremental improvements in base attack pale in comparison to the damage boost from critical hits, especially with an appropriate pet.
Yes and no. A Critical Hit (Crit) done by a character with 100 attack will be better than a normal hit by a character with 150 attack. However, a Crit done by a character with 100 attack will be worse than a Crit by a character with 150 attack. (Attack numbers are chosen arbitrarily and all related conditions being the same).

As I mentioned in my first reply, it all boils down to whether a player thinks the 15% extra Critical is more important than (in this case) 663 attack and 23 defense. It's about time I try to get some actual data from at least 100 fights, however.

Regarding items, you can buy Sassy Hat and Sassy Cane in the market (usually) for reasonable prices (usually).
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

evev wrote:Regarding items, you can buy Sassy Hat and Sassy Cane in the market (usually) for reasonable prices (usually).
Unless Rux has had his way with the Market recently.
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

Murderous Rage did make a big difference at level 43. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now I'm having some trouble with the Phone Line at level 44...
--Will aka Smelly Steve
Rick
Regular Poster

Post by Rick »

Will wrote:Now I'm having some trouble with the Phone Line at level 44...
You can use your BN Detective to determine what sort of unique vulnerabilities and immunities monsters have. The Phone Line gave me a lot of grief too, until I realized what it was immune to and I switched out my weapons for something more appropriate.