Hot Keys

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!
Will
Regular Poster

Hot Keys

Post by Will »

I've been playing for about a week and love Game! so far. I've read a few posts that echo my dislike for the large amount of mundane clicking required in battles. Would it be possible to enable hot key support?

During Battle
A = attack
R = run
1, 2, 3, = use spell/skill in the given "quick access" position

General
H = heal
B = go to the last place you adventured

I'm sure there are others, but these are just what comes to mind.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, I haven't read the full forum.

Thanks!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Yes, you're definitely not the first person to suggest keyboard shortcuts, someone even came up with a custom fighter interface over here: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=344

The interface itself isn't especially hard to do, but there's more to it than you'd think. Mainly there's the issue of coming up with a good default layout, and making it easily customizable for users. Also, I'm sure there's going to be a horde of stupid bugs in IE. Anyways, it's towards the top of my TODO list.
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

I've considered honkeys a fair deal and I personally think that each user's individual solution might be best.

To clarify, what I mean by 'individual solution' is using one of many third-party applications to create macros, hotkeys or the like in order to easier control Game!. The reason for this is that (unlike, say, Google Mail), the actions in Game! are used repeatedly (many times in a row) and each individual's idea of a layout that's most comfortable will be different.

If hotkeys were to be implemented, I would recommend that it be coded in such a way as to allow users to set their own hotkeys through the Preference pane. This is likely to be more difficult to accomplish than hard-coding global hotkeys, but I believe this will make the hotkey feature usable to everyone, by taking into account their individual taste.

Personally I control Game! using QuicKeys (for the Mac) with a setup similar to what Will describes, but centered around WASD and with one hotkey doing double-duty by taking me to see the healer AND returning me back to the area where I just fought.
Will
Regular Poster

Post by Will »

evev wrote:Personally I control Game! using QuicKeys (for the Mac) with a setup similar to what Will describes, but centered around WASD and with one hotkey doing double-duty by taking me to see the healer AND returning me back to the area where I just fought.
Anybody aware of something similar to QuicKeys for Firefox on Windows? QuicKeys sounds cool, but $80 is more than I want to spend to optimize my Game! experience...
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

lol @ paying for software

There are tons of alternatives for Windows.

For Firefox I recommend you check out the iMacro add-on.

As a general application I recommend Autohotkey. It takes a little of getting used to because it is, in effect, its own scripting language, but it is a very powerful tool (logic, loops, image/pixel recognition). The documentation is also excellent. If you have some time to spend on the docs, I highly recommend Autohotkey above all else.
FunLovingKiller
Regular Poster

Post by FunLovingKiller »

I second the AutoHotKey nomination. I use it at work to setup repetitious tasks for users.

Getting back to hot keys, if implemented, this solves my "want to do this from a mobile device" question. Load up Game! in Opera, keyboard shortcuts can do the rest.