Mobile devices/browsers

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!

Would you use a mobile device interface? (Think iPhone, Blackberry, G1 or [shudder] Windows mobile)

Poll ended at Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

FunLovingKiller
Regular Poster

Mobile devices/browsers

Post by FunLovingKiller »

I have a couple Blackberry devices (8700 and 8820) and have been trying things out on the Blackberry browser along with Opera Mini.

There has already been some discussion regarding touchscreens here: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=351

With mobile view enabled in Opera, load images disabled (both Opera and Game! prefs), everything seems to work fast (it is text after all) and fully functional; no links are covered up by any of the PNGs along the bottom or sides. Opening an item info window opens a new page with the info along the bottom. There is quite a bit of scrolling down during fights to the bottom to attack, cast, etc. in large part due to the left side bar. Yes, the verbose side bar is disabled.

If Opera does not use mobile view, it saves on scrolling but the images/realmessages/bg.png along the bottom for the "back to world map" link covers up links in town and other areas. The formatting gets a little screwy even with fullscreen mode enabled in Opera.

Is there any chance of an interface with perhaps a mini left sidebar, just character name, HP and MP or some other smaller subset? Perhaps an interface change for mobile devices under prefs? I'd certainly be willing to venture back into the Pit of Defiled Standards to make this happen.

If others out there want to voice their opinion, post or vote in the poll.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Well, if the main thing that's missing is a shorter sidebar, that's pretty easy to change. Theoretically I can specify an alternative stylesheet for mobile devices, and it might even work, but I've never tried it before (mainly because I don't have any mobile devices worth mentioning smaller than a laptop).

Rux was also mulling over a mobile/minimal stylesheet, but I don't think he ever put keyboard to electrons over it.
FunLovingKiller
Regular Poster

Post by FunLovingKiller »

If there is no public interest, I don't want to waste your time.

I spent about 30 minutes playing around with it during a 2.5 hour train ride this morning. BB Browser was fast but had limitations trying to use items or combine items (likely because I disable tons of options), Opera Mini was slower with more scrolling required (no good shortcut to go all the way to the bottom of a page for fighting, just page downs) but had full functionality.

Opera Mini works, so I am happy. I can always tether if I were so inclined.