Clans

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!
Sgt Racoon
Regular Poster

Clans

Post by Sgt Racoon »

Clans would be cool, done in the same fashion as KoL, but without thedumb equipment and stuff. Also, clan wars would be cool, but DEFINATELY not like Kol's. Thanks for any consideration.

Offtopic: you should have a "Lounge" in this forum, where we could just chill.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Clans are planned, I wanted to do the PvP aspect first though. Now that that has been done, I can start thinking about Clans.
Sgt Racoon wrote:Offtopic: you should have a "Lounge" in this forum, where we could just chill.
That's essentially what I had intended the "Offtopic" forum for.
Rux
Regular Poster

hmm clans

Post by Rux »

i'd better start thinking up a good clan name. something like this maybe --> http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y273/drey7/ha.jpg
Smasher
Regular Poster

Clans

Post by Smasher »

I am curious what the current thinking about this is?

I think clans are a great idea and should be as open-ended as possible. Like if you form a clan, it only gives you an opportunity to share stuff items or gold with other clan members, or whatever. I don't know.

I think the biggest other player interface is through the market and that it would be neat if somehow clans could compete for dominance over the market. Like perhaps clans could purchase large quantities of items and then be able to sell them at an inflated rate and the profit goes to the clan entity which then can purchase more items. And players could be given authority to purchase items and sell items on behalf of the clan. Players could also give their own items to the clan to share or to sell for the greater good.

Any thoughts?
I like to crush stuff!
PootiPuerk&AsSeenOnTV
Regular Poster

Post by PootiPuerk&AsSeenOnTV »

prevent clans from having same-player characters :idea:
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: Clans

Post by Mad Merlin »

Smasher wrote:I think the biggest other player interface is through the market and that it would be neat if somehow clans could compete for dominance over the market. Like perhaps clans could purchase large quantities of items and then be able to sell them at an inflated rate and the profit goes to the clan entity which then can purchase more items.
Sounds like the Rux clan.
Smasher
Regular Poster

Post by Smasher »

Right, exactly what got me thinking.

Right now, the only thing Rux can do to prevent people from underselling his really high-priced items is by buying them all up and then reselling them. That's what got me thinking about this.

What if a special Merchant Clan could have it's own market. It could sign contracts, or exclusive deals with Guild clans, (which would sign these deals because they would want to be able to sell their items for a set price and receive a higher kickback than just selling the item one-off). So the Merchant Clan would negotiate with Crafters and others and could essentially have their own Market. So if you want to buy Smasher's Hammerfish of Smiting item, you would have to go to Rux's market, because Smasher only does business with Rux. Also, if you sign an exclusive deal with Rux, you get more cash in return, but exlcusivity comes with a cost. You can only buy and sell in his market. If you are not exclusive, then you can buy and sell in the open market or with any merchant who will buy your stuff, but you wont get as much gold back. Though, at anytime, you could change who your merchant was. And if a guild has a deal with a merchant, then every member of that guild can only buy with Rux. As long as there are multiple choices (i.e. competition), I think the system would balance itself out)

If you enter into Rux's market his clan could set the price for each item that was sold there. Maybe the flip side for the Merhcant's is that if you sign a deal with Smasher, then Smasher must buy all his items from you market. So, in effect, if you sign a deal with the Merchant clan, you are buying and selling from them. The advantage for this over the open market would be the ability to set your own price for items you sell.

Another intersting thing could be that every member of this merchant clan had no separate inventory. Every item which you gained went straight to the Clan. But, you could have access to every item the clan owned if you needed it. You would be able to hold a separate inventory, just whenever a monster dropped an item, it would go the clan, (or maybe everytime you check into the clan, it would check your inventory and make sure you had all the items you were supposed to have and it would take away anything not on the list). The advantage would be that you never had to buy any items, and you would have access to all the unique and special items that you wanted, as long as your level allowed it. Also, you could have a fixed gold reserve to buy things from the open market.

I still think the open market should stay so that there will always be an incentive for merchant's not to get too greedy. It would take some skill to be able to convince a crafting clan that they should sign an exclusive deal with you, and it should. It would add intrigue and interest to the prospect of buying and selling.

Another thing I was thinking was that maybe the merchant clans could strong arm people into not undercutting their prices at the market. I dunno.

I haven't really thought this all the way through, but I think there may be gold in all that rubbish.
I like to crush stuff!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Smasher wrote:Right, exactly what got me thinking.

Right now, the only thing Rux can do to prevent people from underselling his really high-priced items is by buying them all up and then reselling them. That's what got me thinking about this.

What if a special Merchant Clan could have it's own market. It could sign contracts, or exclusive deals with Guild clans, (which would sign these deals because they would want to be able to sell their items for a set price and receive a higher kickback than just selling the item one-off). So the Merchant Clan would negotiate with Crafters and others and could essentially have their own Market. So if you want to buy Smasher's Hammerfish of Smiting item, you would have to go to Rux's market, because Smasher only does business with Rux. Also, if you sign an exclusive deal with Rux, you get more cash in return, but exlcusivity comes with a cost. You can only buy and sell in his market. If you are not exclusive, then you can buy and sell in the open market or with any merchant who will buy your stuff, but you wont get as much gold back. Though, at anytime, you could change who your merchant was. And if a guild has a deal with a merchant, then every member of that guild can only buy with Rux. As long as there are multiple choices (i.e. competition), I think the system would balance itself out)

If you enter into Rux's market his clan could set the price for each item that was sold there. Maybe the flip side for the Merhcant's is that if you sign a deal with Smasher, then Smasher must buy all his items from you market. So, in effect, if you sign a deal with the Merchant clan, you are buying and selling from them. The advantage for this over the open market would be the ability to set your own price for items you sell.

Another intersting thing could be that every member of this merchant clan had no separate inventory. Every item which you gained went straight to the Clan. But, you could have access to every item the clan owned if you needed it. You would be able to hold a separate inventory, just whenever a monster dropped an item, it would go the clan, (or maybe everytime you check into the clan, it would check your inventory and make sure you had all the items you were supposed to have and it would take away anything not on the list). The advantage would be that you never had to buy any items, and you would have access to all the unique and special items that you wanted, as long as your level allowed it. Also, you could have a fixed gold reserve to buy things from the open market.

I still think the open market should stay so that there will always be an incentive for merchant's not to get too greedy. It would take some skill to be able to convince a crafting clan that they should sign an exclusive deal with you, and it should. It would add intrigue and interest to the prospect of buying and selling.

Another thing I was thinking was that maybe the merchant clans could strong arm people into not undercutting their prices at the market. I dunno.

I haven't really thought this all the way through, but I think there may be gold in all that rubbish.
Your reply over here is also related: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=950#950

It sounds a lot like you want to simulate the real world economy, with businesses (clans) and all. I'm not sure I'd want to go that far, but one of the things that I've had on my TODO list for awhile (after I add clans) is to add a stock market, where you'd be able to buy and sell shares of clans (from/to other players). Clans could be private at first and have an IPO when they feel ready, much like in real life. You could also end up with hostile takeovers too, which would be fun.

The merchant's clan with a unified Inventory is an interesting twist though.
Rux
Regular Poster

my diabolical plan

Post by Rux »

first sell things at really high prices. rake in gold. then wait for people to adjust their markup to less than mine to compete. then lower my rate to undercut them. rake in gold until they go even lower. Continue until prices are low. Once everyone has cheap prices buy up everything for low low prices. when they see i'm buying everything they raise prices allowing me to resell at a high markup again.
Lather, Rinse, Repeat