[DONE] moveable tavern window

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!
Rux
Regular Poster

[DONE] moveable tavern window

Post by Rux »

<Hero> Is the Tavern tab moveable?
<Rux> nope
<Rux> would be nice
Rux
Regular Poster

history

Post by Rux »

Also it would be nice if it kept a history the whole time i was logged in. so i'd have more than just the last 5 lines when switching from tavern to telepathy.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

One complication with a movable tavern window is that (assuming it remembers the position from page to page, which it should) the browser window could change size, particularly if you switch computers or browsers, and then the remembered position of the window may not be appropriate anymore (it could even be off the screen entirely, for example). Obviously there's ways to work around that, but none are ideal. Right now I see at least 4 obvious solutions:

- Store absolute coordinates, check on load/resize if the window is off the screen, and move it back on if so.
- As above, but store coordinates in a cookie instead of with the player in the database.
- Store absolute coordinates and the viewport size, if the viewport size changes, move the window so that it's still in the same relative position.
- As above, but (again) store in a cookie instead of in the database along with the player.

Oh, and then there's actually implementing the dragging and stuff, but that shouldn't be too bad... unless somebody cares about IE.
Rux
Regular Poster

docked to the bottom

Post by Rux »

also what about docking it across the bottom like the message div?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: docked to the bottom

Post by Mad Merlin »

Rux wrote:also what about docking it across the bottom like the message div?
There's that too, though it would take up a lot of vertical space.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Done.

I opted for storing the position in a cookie with absolute coordinates, but repositioning the window if it ends up outside the viewport.
Terrific Noise
Regular Poster

Post by Terrific Noise »

The tavern doesn't appear in Safari or Chrome.

Dragging the mini-windows works great though.

Good jerb
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Terrific Noise wrote:The tavern doesn't appear in Safari or Chrome.

Dragging the mini-windows works great though.

Good jerb
Hmm, for me it doesn't appear in Chrome, but in Safari it appears but doesn't drag (but does change position correctly, which can be seen when you reload the page).
Terrific Noise
Regular Poster

Post by Terrific Noise »

The item descriptions sometimes don't come up with their titlebars on the screen though, which makes them hard to close.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Terrific Noise wrote:The item descriptions sometimes don't come up with their titlebars on the screen though, which makes them hard to close.
Gah! I can't believe Apple broke so much stuff in WebKit when all of this works in KHTML (of which WebKit forked from)...

This part at least has been broken for quite awhile, though you can just scroll up to see the rest of it.

I fixed this and the previous issue now. Squashed Bugs are in the mail.