Menacing Figure

Do you play Game! too? Maybe you should discuss it in here.
nsajeff
Regular Poster

Menacing Figure

Post by nsajeff »

So, I've tried taking this bugger on no less than 9 times now with my trusty ghost with no luck. Any ideas before I burn through my stamina for the day?

Also, if I may offer a suggestion(highly unlikely to be implemented). I would like to see a more time-sink oriented game. Its frustrating to only be able to play until I run out of stamina. At least make a way to reduce my 'fullness' through some sort of money-sink maybe? What about a gym?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

The Menacing Figure is intended to be tough. If you rush straight for it and are lucky enough to get the door open before you level (at least once, to 8), you'll probably have a tough time. By level 8 and up, it should be doable, although it may require a few potions or some good luck. Also, if you're a Mage, you may want to have a second look at all of the spells you have available.

You're certainly not the first one to suggest changes to stamina/fullness. See the thread over here for example. Keep in mind that as you gain levels, you can eat more potent food, which will net you more stamina as well. (Plain Toast isn't the holy grail of food.) You can also trade at the Market and Swap Shop, as well as fiddle with your Inventory as much as you like without consuming stamina. Admittedly, it's not quite the same as beating up Drunken Louts, but it's worth mentioning.
nsajeff
Regular Poster

Post by nsajeff »

Mad Merlin wrote:The Menacing Figure is intended to be tough. If you rush straight for it and are lucky enough to get the door open before you level (at least once, to 8), you'll probably have a tough time. By level 8 and up, it should be doable, although it may require a few potions or some good luck. Also, if you're a Mage, you may want to have a second look at all of the spells you have available.

You're certainly not the first one to suggest changes to stamina/fullness. See the thread over here for example. Keep in mind that as you gain levels, you can eat more potent food, which will net you more stamina as well. (Plain Toast isn't the holy grail of food.) You can also trade at the Market and Swap Shop, as well as fiddle with your Inventory as much as you like without consuming stamina. Admittedly, it's not quite the same as beating up Drunken Louts, but it's worth mentioning.
Its not quite what I had in mind but I've come to already love playing the marketplace. Especially like creating spare low level toons to hunt for dough to make an easy 10k. I appreciate the response however. Is there any way of getting involved/helping? I've only been playing 2 days and am already enjoying myself to the point of wanting to see this game succeed. I own a great deal of servers/space that I'd be glad to contribute(the site seems sluggish at times). Please let me know!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

nsajeff wrote:Is there any way of getting involved/helping? I've only been playing 2 days and am already enjoying myself to the point of wanting to see this game succeed. I own a great deal of servers/space that I'd be glad to contribute(the site seems sluggish at times). Please let me know!
Page loads should be quite quick, even with a bunch of people playing at the same time, CPU usage is barely a blip on the radar. However, one area that I am running out of headroom on is (upstream) bandwidth. In general, everything (CSS, JS, images) should be cached on the first load and each further page load should be ~2k. However, there's a few people with misconfigured or disabled browser caches, and they easily chew through 10-15x that by rerequesting everything on every page load. Since I can't really fix their caches for them, the next best solution is probably to put the static bits (JS, CSS, images) on a different server with more bandwidth.

So, say you were to mirror the static content for me, then I could just point img.wittyrpg.com at (one of) your server(s), while wittyrpg.com continues to function as it does today. That would free up 90-95% of the current bandwidth for dynamic content (which should be good for quite awhile yet). Since it's just static content, just about anything with SSH access and a web server of some sort would do. How's that sound?
nsajeff
Regular Poster

Post by nsajeff »

Mad Merlin, that sounds entirely reasonable. I have access to a HA server right now that is sitting pretty with 200gb of bandwidth that I simply cannot find a use for. I also have other servers with 'unlimited' bandwidth but they are NOT HA servers. Perhaps we can chat through other means and we can assess what your estimates are for usage and I can offer a more appropriate server? I'm looking to help and as I mentioned, I have more servers than I can shake a stick at but they are all very unique in their capabilities.
nsajeff
Regular Poster

Post by nsajeff »

Regarding speed. I notice that the Marketplace loads extremely slowly.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

nsajeff wrote:Mad Merlin, that sounds entirely reasonable. I have access to a HA server right now that is sitting pretty with 200gb of bandwidth that I simply cannot find a use for. I also have other servers with 'unlimited' bandwidth but they are NOT HA servers. Perhaps we can chat through other means and we can assess what your estimates are for usage and I can offer a more appropriate server? I'm looking to help and as I mentioned, I have more servers than I can shake a stick at but they are all very unique in their capabilities.
How about IRC? #game! on Freenode (irc.freenode.net) is the place to be.