Left Titanium Flail or random Blah blah blah

My Fighter can beat up your Fighter!
bsonline
Regular Poster

Left Titanium Flail or random Blah blah blah

Post by bsonline »

First the LTF - I had an extra titanium flail, and my first leftifier. Of course I combined them. And immediately lost the set bonus. I was thinking that partial bonuses could come from sets. Also, you could tag all "Titanium" items as being part of the Titanium set, and require only the maximum possible items to be equiped. So head + body + left + right = 4 equipable set items. 5 items could exist allowing for a shield or a weapon, or more for a variety of weapons, but only check for the quantity of equipped items and not specific items. Make sense? Probably not, but there you have it.

Also, I love the idea for scripted fights. To be honest, I'd prefer a lot less redunant clicking. I prefer spending my time combining items and cooking than clicking the same link over and over again. Just putting my vote out there.

I also like the idea of magic items, and I may have an "easier" way to code it. Instead of redoing whatever you have to redo, add an extra column to the item table. Let this reference the bonus stats, and then create new items that combine those two charts. From what I understand of PHP, you would just have to change the item references to point there instead of to the current items.

Alternately, you could just create a few thousand new items (again, using a small script to generate the list) and then add those to the database. It's not the cleanest way to program, I'm sure, but it's quick and nasty enough to add the feature while you (hopefully) concentrate on the next challenge I got for you.

:idea: I once heard you mention that creating content is the hardest, or at least most time consuming, part of this whole ordeal. Why not let us do it? Either create quests that lead to item creation, or just allow it at certain points. Let us come up with our own names, submit pictures, etc and base stats off of items used to create those items.
Also, each person could theoretically create their own areas. Think of it as a php based little big planet. Same theme as Game!, but user created. This, my friend, would be huge. Bigger than line rider, less graphical than anything the PS3 could ever produce!!!

My last two ideas would require extensive moderation, but would be worth it. I'm sure you could find volunteers.

I'll expect all of this to be done by morning. :lol: :idea:

I love what you've done with this. I loved KoL, too - a friend got me hooked on that. I haven't even looked at KoL since he passed away, so Game! kind of gives that back to me. I can't imagine how I could contribute, but if you can, I'm willing.

:!:
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: Left Titanium Flail or random Blah blah blah

Post by Mad Merlin »

bsonline wrote:First the LTF - I had an extra titanium flail, and my first leftifier. Of course I combined them. And immediately lost the set bonus. I was thinking that partial bonuses could come from sets. Also, you could tag all "Titanium" items as being part of the Titanium set, and require only the maximum possible items to be equiped. So head + body + left + right = 4 equipable set items. 5 items could exist allowing for a shield or a weapon, or more for a variety of weapons, but only check for the quantity of equipped items and not specific items. Make sense? Probably not, but there you have it.
This is a pretty simple change, as you guessed, but makes perfect sense, unlike how you guessed. Right now there's a table that lists the members of each set, and then the number of items in each set is inferred based on how many items are in the aforementioned table. There's also another table for the set names that the set members table is joined to. Just adding an explicit quantity to the table with the set names (and some tiny code tweaks) would accomplish this. Hmm...
bsonline wrote:Also, I love the idea for scripted fights. To be honest, I'd prefer a lot less redunant clicking. I prefer spending my time combining items and cooking than clicking the same link over and over again. Just putting my vote out there.
I assume you already saw the brief discussion on this over here: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290

Basically, it's on the TODO list.
bsonline wrote:I also like the idea of magic items, and I may have an "easier" way to code it. Instead of redoing whatever you have to redo, add an extra column to the item table. Let this reference the bonus stats, and then create new items that combine those two charts. From what I understand of PHP, you would just have to change the item references to point there instead of to the current items.

Alternately, you could just create a few thousand new items (again, using a small script to generate the list) and then add those to the database. It's not the cleanest way to program, I'm sure, but it's quick and nasty enough to add the feature while you (hopefully) concentrate on the next challenge I got for you.
The data storage part is easy. The real problem is, basically, stacking.

Say you've got 50 random extra bonuses that can spawn on items. There's 284 items in Game! as of this writing, so if there's only 1 bonus possible per item, that gives you 284*50 = 14200 possible items, which is a fairly big number. If that doesn't seem like a big number to you, think about slogging through 14,200 items in your inventory, or at the Market, both of which would need major overhauls.

Also, consider 2 or more bonuses per item (hint: 284*50*49 = 695800).

I agree it's neat, but it's a major piece of work.
bsonline wrote::idea: I once heard you mention that creating content is the hardest, or at least most time consuming, part of this whole ordeal. Why not let us do it? Either create quests that lead to item creation, or just allow it at certain points. Let us come up with our own names, submit pictures, etc and base stats off of items used to create those items.
Also, each person could theoretically create their own areas. Think of it as a php based little big planet. Same theme as Game!, but user created. This, my friend, would be huge. Bigger than line rider, less graphical than anything the PS3 could ever produce!!!

My last two ideas would require extensive moderation, but would be worth it. I'm sure you could find volunteers.
User generated content was touched upon over here: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=291

Overall, I like the idea. It's on my TODO list right after "hammering out exactly how user generated content should work".
bsonline wrote:I'll expect all of this to be done by morning. :lol: :idea:
Well, that depends on which morning you're referring to...
bsonline wrote:I love what you've done with this. I loved KoL, too - a friend got me hooked on that. I haven't even looked at KoL since he passed away, so Game! kind of gives that back to me. I can't imagine how I could contribute, but if you can, I'm willing.

:!:
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Game! though, and sharing your thoughts in the forums!

Edit: If you're looking to help out, tell your friends! Users are the lifeblood of any online community.
bsonline
Regular Poster

Post by bsonline »

This is a pretty simple change, as you guessed, but makes perfect sense, unlike how you guessed. Right now there's a table that lists the members of each set, and then the number of items in each set is inferred based on how many items are in the aforementioned table. There's also another table for the set names that the set members table is joined to. Just adding an explicit quantity to the table with the set names (and some tiny code tweaks) would accomplish this. Hmm...
And I thought I sounded confusing. Meanwhile, spot on with the awesomeness. I'm also thinking that any ultra rare items should have to be taken - ie, could an NPC USE it against you prior to you being able to receive it?
Stupid question, I guess so. Meanwhile, I like this idea. I am totally going to implement it... uh, when I'm you.

Say you've got 50 random extra bonuses that can spawn on items. There's 284 items in Game! as of this writing, so if there's only 1 bonus possible per item, that gives you 284*50 = 14200 possible items, which is a fairly big number. If that doesn't seem like a big number to you, think about slogging through 14,200 items in your inventory, or at the Market, both of which would need major overhauls.

Stacking isn't a problem. Select from array all items with id (blah) for mighty weapon of blah - this would include all items regardless of bonus. Automatically discard any with a lower bonus, and let this be a lesson to people for not selling items they don't need. Possibly only do this if people have over a certain quantity, or allow an option for autoselling of dupes. Isn't it nice how people with no programming knowledge think they are geniuses?
User generated content was touched upon over here: http://wittyrpg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=291

Overall, I like the idea. It's on my TODO list right after "hammering out exactly how user generated content should work".
I would totally love to get with you on this. I'm thinking item drop to put a portal at your house, possibly allowing more than one or allowing more than one area on the otherside of said portal. Since all areas contain the same elements (link w/ name, sublinks with name, mob list, item list) this could all be accomplished with some forms.

As for user items, basically the same principle. I'm leaning towards unique player weapons (no dupes possible) requiring different elements for crafting. But, here's the best part... allow them to be "droppable" from the player. Mobs could gank you, and other players could gank said mobs. Also, buying and selling of items... but the gankfest would be an awesome thing. Imagine running up on someone's campground only to get smacked with the holy mackrel of smiting that you lost the week before and crafted the week before that?
The morning you finish, or the morning after the night you finish. Duh.

PS - I'm thinking user generated content should definitely be impacted by the community. Possibly requiring visits or votes by people to increase renown for areas, which would allow higher level mobs or some such.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

bsonline wrote:
And I thought I sounded confusing. Meanwhile, spot on with the awesomeness. I'm also thinking that any ultra rare items should have to be taken - ie, could an NPC USE it against you prior to you being able to receive it?
Stupid question, I guess so. Meanwhile, I like this idea. I am totally going to implement it... uh, when I'm you.
Having more ways of getting items than just buying/trading and finding them from monsters (and combining and cooking) is a good idea. I had a few ideas about this, but I'll add that to the list as well.
bsonline wrote:

Stacking isn't a problem. Select from array all items with id (blah) for mighty weapon of blah - this would include all items regardless of bonus. Automatically discard any with a lower bonus, and let this be a lesson to people for not selling items they don't need. Possibly only do this if people have over a certain quantity, or allow an option for autoselling of dupes. Isn't it nice how people with no programming knowledge think they are geniuses?
That only works if you can say for sure which item is better, but that's a subjective matter. Say you've got a Long sword of +30 HP and another Long Sword of +5% critical hits. Which is better? The answer would probably depend on level too, 5% critical gets better at higher levels while 30 HP gets worse at higher levels.
bsonline wrote:

I would totally love to get with you on this. I'm thinking item drop to put a portal at your house, possibly allowing more than one or allowing more than one area on the otherside of said portal. Since all areas contain the same elements (link w/ name, sublinks with name, mob list, item list) this could all be accomplished with some forms.

As for user items, basically the same principle. I'm leaning towards unique player weapons (no dupes possible) requiring different elements for crafting. But, here's the best part... allow them to be "droppable" from the player. Mobs could gank you, and other players could gank said mobs. Also, buying and selling of items... but the gankfest would be an awesome thing. Imagine running up on someone's campground only to get smacked with the holy mackrel of smiting that you lost the week before and crafted the week before that?
Now that's an interesting idea. Actually, it's (at least) two interesting ideas. Player specific items should probably be stealable via Campground raids too, and I'm thinking the Wise Sage should have a top 10 for who has the most player unique weapons. This means that pack ratting player unique items would make you a target for other players, definitely a double edged sword. There should probably also be some method of additional reconnaissance (which would cost something, probably something rarer than gold) to uncover information about who else has player unique items, and how many.

I'm also thinking that player unique weapons should be quite rare, you probably wouldn't get the chance to make more than 2 or 3 per character, and only after a certain (difficult) quest or similar. Different classes could also craft different types of items, or the items could get a different set of bonuses based on what class crafted them.

Having the player unique items gankable is very interesting. It makes what would probably be some of the most powerful items the least valuable (or at least the riskiest) to horde. The gankability would certainly be a controversial feature, just look at how much people like the enemies that can steal gold from you (there's several other threads about this). What do you think about regular items being gankable or otherwise lost unintentionally?

Oh, and then there's the issue of hardcore characters that die with player unique items on them. Maybe there could be grave robbing to regain the player unique items. Grave robbing would probably require dispatching the ghost of the dead player as well, which would vary in strength based on how strong the character was at death.

Monsters with a player unique item should also be harder to kill. They'd just be a normal monster, but they'd pack a much heavier punch, perhaps there'd be some sort of advance warning.

Player unique items also need a less clumsy name, but that's a minor issue. Maybe they could all be gold plated or something. So all player unique items would be "Gold Plated Swift Long Sword of Tasty Noodles" or "Gold Plated Invisible Crude Helmet of Maiming", etc.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean for the portal(s) by your house though. Could you elaborate?
bsonline wrote:
The morning you finish, or the morning after the night you finish. Duh.

PS - I'm thinking user generated content should definitely be impacted by the community. Possibly requiring visits or votes by people to increase renown for areas, which would allow higher level mobs or some such.
Hmm... I'm not sure how this would work exactly. It has potential though.

Oh, and I added some quote tags for you, for readability.
bsonline
Regular Poster

Post by bsonline »

Having more ways of getting items than just buying/trading and finding them from monsters (and combining and cooking) is a good idea. I had a few ideas about this, but I'll add that to the list as well.
Have you considered pokemon style weapon levels, which eventually allowed items to evolve? And devolve on death?

That only works if you can say for sure which item is better, but that's a subjective matter. Say you've got a Long sword of +30 HP and another Long Sword of +5% critical hits. Which is better? The answer would probably depend on level too, 5% critical gets better at higher levels while 30 HP gets worse at higher levels.
Ok, how about if it's not in the bank (add a vault for items), then it's fair game for Game! to eat your items? The better item would be either equipped or stored, and therefore safe. Anything else is fodder.

Now that's an interesting idea. Actually, it's (at least) two interesting ideas. Player specific items should probably be stealable via Campground raids too, and I'm thinking the Wise Sage should have a top 10 for who has the most player unique weapons. This means that pack ratting player unique items would make you a target for other players, definitely a double edged sword. There should probably also be some method of additional reconnaissance (which would cost something, probably something rarer than gold) to uncover information about who else has player unique items, and how many.
I did my first raid today. More raid points. KTHXBYE - I would trade 5 stamina for each raid point. Meanwhile, I love the Wise Sage and making yourself a target - and finding said targets. Have you considered weekly wise sage trophies? Some sort of bonus accessory (or a new trinket slot) endowing the best and worst of each list with strange new powers?
I'm also thinking that player unique weapons should be quite rare, you probably wouldn't get the chance to make more than 2 or 3 per character, and only after a certain (difficult) quest or similar. Different classes could also craft different types of items, or the items could get a different set of bonuses based on what class crafted them.
Spirit! Give each player a spirit rating of say 3+level. Each aspect of holding a user item requires a certain amount of your spirit. Go over that level, and you are at half stats. If someone robs you, you then can decide to either remake the item or go after it. By aspect I mean holding it, storing it or creating it.

For extra bonuses, players could transfer their own stats into items. There would be a healing period, of course. So you can slash your own health by 50 and strength by 5 and be healed over time, but keep the permanent bonus for your item. Risky, but worth it in the end.
Having the player unique items gankable is very interesting. It makes what would probably be some of the most powerful items the least valuable (or at least the riskiest) to horde. The gankability would certainly be a controversial feature, just look at how much people like the enemies that can steal gold from you (there's several other threads about this). What do you think about regular items being gankable or otherwise lost unintentionally?
I just found the Account Ant. Yes, they take more than they drop and don't drop extra for having taken all have taken. Meanwhile, they have the word "account" in their name. People should be glad this creature doesn't mess with your account or it's settings.
Oh, and then there's the issue of hardcore characters that die with player unique items on them. Maybe there could be grave robbing to regain the player unique items. Grave robbing would probably require dispatching the ghost of the dead player as well, which would vary in strength based on how strong the character was at death.
How about putting the grave at the camp, and allow an option to grave rob on raids?
Monsters with a player unique item should also be harder to kill. They'd just be a normal monster, but they'd pack a much heavier punch, perhaps there'd be some sort of advance warning.
Mobs with items should be literally using said items. I've always loved that rather rare feature in games. I once played a game where the mobs played with you - they would attack players and other NPCs, and level or die accordingly. I'm thinking you could spawn such a beast every time someone gets killed by a monster - call it a doppelganger. Perhaps a mutated mix of player and creature. Who knows.
Player unique items also need a less clumsy name, but that's a minor issue. Maybe they could all be gold plated or something. So all player unique items would be "Gold Plated Swift Long Sword of Tasty Noodles" or "Gold Plated Invisible Crude Helmet of Maiming", etc.
Call them "Crafted". IE Crafted Mackerel of Smiting. It's to the point, and most anything else could interfere. What if crafted items were called gold plated, and I wanted to gold plate (or worse, titanium plate) something? Gold Plated Titanium Plated Mackerel of Smiting? Hmm. I might want to build that item anyway, it has layers like onions. And ogres. Ogres have layers.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean for the portal(s) by your house though. Could you elaborate?
When you visit someone's campground, have a link there that says "Portal" - on the other side of said portal would be a user generated area.

Hmm... I'm not sure how this would work exactly. It has potential though.
I would just work on otherstuff, but try to work into the framework some blank modifiers for later use. Set 'em all to neutral, and don't put a way to change them until you figure out how you want that to work. Let popular spots be more powerful, and people will be inviting entire friend lists worth of new players.
Oh, and I added some quote tags for you, for readability.
Oh, and I reversed the quote tags for reverse readability.
Doesn't it seem like sarcastic games draw sarcastic people?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Have you considered pokemon style weapon levels, which eventually allowed items to evolve? And devolve on death?
I haven't. Though the main reason for that is that I've never played pokemon before, so it's a new idea to me.
Ok, how about if it's not in the bank (add a vault for items), then it's fair game for Game! to eat your items? The better item would be either equipped or stored, and therefore safe. Anything else is fodder.
I was thinking equipped items might be stealable as well. Of course, that could be a nasty surprise if you don't notice that it happened (some might argue that that's the whole point).
I did my first raid today. More raid points. KTHXBYE - I would trade 5 stamina for each raid point. Meanwhile, I love the Wise Sage and making yourself a target - and finding said targets. Have you considered weekly wise sage trophies? Some sort of bonus accessory (or a new trinket slot) endowing the best and worst of each list with strange new powers?
More raid points, or more raids allowable per day? You can get more raids per day (up to 4) as you add more campground improvements. I like the idea of spending stamina on raiding as well. One of my concerns with allowing too many raids per day was that you could really ruin someone's day if you kept raiding them all the time, though if you had to spend stamina for extra raids, that'd probably be a good balance.

The other thing that could be done is to have it be possible for raids to backfire, that is, if you do very badly in a raid, it'll actually have negative consequences for you beyond just not doing any damage.

I like the idea of weekly wise sage trophies, though. There's a few more wise sage top 10s I'm going to add as well.
Spirit! Give each player a spirit rating of say 3+level. Each aspect of holding a user item requires a certain amount of your spirit. Go over that level, and you are at half stats. If someone robs you, you then can decide to either remake the item or go after it. By aspect I mean holding it, storing it or creating it.

For extra bonuses, players could transfer their own stats into items. There would be a healing period, of course. So you can slash your own health by 50 and strength by 5 and be healed over time, but keep the permanent bonus for your item. Risky, but worth it in the end.
Now that you mention it, that could be a good method of limiting how often you can make player unique items. Say it always takes a percentage of your stats to craft a new player unique item (and you can pick how much, say 10-50%, higher percentages will give you better chances at better items), and you can only craft new items at full strength (ie, no previous craftings currently affecting your stats), then you could just regain a few percentage points per day.

I like the spirit idea for limiting how many player unique items you can carry/use/store/create as well. I'm thinking storing them should be more expensive than carrying or using them, so as to encourage people to keep player unique items in circulation and not horde them.
I just found the Account Ant. Yes, they take more than they drop and don't drop extra for having taken all have taken. Meanwhile, they have the word "account" in their name. People should be glad this creature doesn't mess with your account or it's settings.
Hmm, *evil ideas*... just kidding.
How about putting the grave at the camp, and allow an option to grave rob on raids?
That's one possibility, though it's mostly just a UI issue.
Mobs with items should be literally using said items. I've always loved that rather rare feature in games. I once played a game where the mobs played with you - they would attack players and other NPCs, and level or die accordingly. I'm thinking you could spawn such a beast every time someone gets killed by a monster - call it a doppelganger. Perhaps a mutated mix of player and creature. Who knows.
Having the monster actually use the item (or at least gain the bonuses from it) was more or less what I was thinking, though I guess I didn't explicitly say that.

The doppelgangers sound a lot like pets, but with a mind of their own, kinda. The Menacing Figure would certainly cause lots of them...
Call them "Crafted". IE Crafted Mackerel of Smiting. It's to the point, and most anything else could interfere. What if crafted items were called gold plated, and I wanted to gold plate (or worse, titanium plate) something? Gold Plated Titanium Plated Mackerel of Smiting? Hmm. I might want to build that item anyway, it has layers like onions. And ogres. Ogres have layers.
I could also colour them differently. One reason that wouldn't work well is that a few places items aren't links, but in most others, they are (so they're either black or blue, respectively). Obviously I should just fix that, though. Alternatively, I could bold or italicize them, which would avoid the colour problem.

You could also both gold plate and titanium plate something! Gold plated gold plated titanium plated Mackerel of Smiting.
When you visit someone's campground, have a link there that says "Portal" - on the other side of said portal would be a user generated area.
Ah, I see. Hmm...
I would just work on otherstuff, but try to work into the framework some blank modifiers for later use. Set 'em all to neutral, and don't put a way to change them until you figure out how you want that to work. Let popular spots be more powerful, and people will be inviting entire friend lists worth of new players.
That's an interesting consequence that I hadn't thought of. It'd be interesting to see if it actually was as effective as you think it would be.
Oh, and I reversed the quote tags for reverse readability.
Doesn't it seem like sarcastic games draw sarcastic people?
Shocking, shocking!
bsonline
Regular Poster

Post by bsonline »

I haven't. Though the main reason for that is that I've never played pokemon before, so it's a new idea to me.
Think of it as weapons drawing experience and eventually changing - like a fighter becoming a ninja. I'm not even going to mention that we currently only have two classes, but yet I will mention that weapons and armor don't have class at all?

I was thinking equipped items might be stealable as well. Of course, that could be a nasty surprise if you don't notice that it happened (some might argue that that's the whole point).
Equipped items should be stealable, but perhaps harder to get to. I mean, I'm going to try to keep you from taking the fish out of my hand, ya know?
Also, critical hits could have a chance of critical failure and I would finally know what to do with a duct wad - fix equipment.

More raid points, or more raids allowable per day? You can get more raids per day (up to 4) as you add more campground improvements. I like the idea of spending stamina on raiding as well. One of my concerns with allowing too many raids per day was that you could really ruin someone's day if you kept raiding them all the time, though if you had to spend stamina for extra raids, that'd probably be a good balance.
More allowable per day - but each attack on one individual gets progressively harder as the defenses learn to defend against you. Maximum of three attacks on any given person, and maybe after you've received 5-10 total attacks some magical shield pops up and keeps you safe for another day? The shield I just thought of, the limits come from playing Dark Throne.
The other thing that could be done is to have it be possible for raids to backfire, that is, if you do very badly in a raid, it'll actually have negative consequences for you beyond just not doing any damage.
I'd love it if someone was picking on me, and accidentally "dropped their wallet" or some other item of value. It would have to be something they had with them.
While I'm thinking about this - we should have 4 inventories. Equipped items - limited to what we are wearing. Carried items, limited by our "backpack" or whatever. At home items, pretty much no limit, can be used for cooking and combining. And the only truly safe items go in the bank vault. However, I can see myself getting very annoyed at moving all of this stuff around.
I like the idea of weekly wise sage trophies, though. There's a few more wise sage top 10s I'm going to add as well.
I'm looking for the top 10 forum posts by me, and a stat doubling trophy bestowed to whomever posted them.
Now that you mention it, that could be a good method of limiting how often you can make player unique items. Say it always takes a percentage of your stats to craft a new player unique item (and you can pick how much, say 10-50%, higher percentages will give you better chances at better items), and you can only craft new items at full strength (ie, no previous craftings currently affecting your stats), then you could just regain a few percentage points per day.
Stamina could possibly be converted to spirit or to aid in recovery. This would give max level players something else to spend stamina on, and anyone that just doesn't use all of their stamina.
I like the spirit idea for limiting how many player unique items you can carry/use/store/create as well. I'm thinking storing them should be more expensive than carrying or using them, so as to encourage people to keep player unique items in circulation and not horde them.
Storing them should be difficult. If you think of these items as being endowed with spirit (life/intelligence) then what would actually keep them from leaving the bank on their own? Plus the actual spirit cost. Reliability should be lowered, or the in game items (NPC items?) would quickly become obsolete. How about items have their own spirit rating, which would start at 0/100. As you heal over time, they "heal" to full 100/100 spirit. At that point, they have a mind of their own. Using them could modify their spirit, and if they reach 0/100 they either need rest or could even break.
Hmm, *evil ideas*... just kidding.
Imagine a fighter suddenly becoming a mage or vice versa? Gender switching. Your character inventories becoming randomly mixed. Oh, and on that note, why can't characters directly share items? And have you considered only one campground per account? Lailoken Chase and the Corpse could all share one abode - and items therein could also be shared.

Having the monster actually use the item (or at least gain the bonuses from it) was more or less what I was thinking, though I guess I didn't explicitly say that.
Cool - I just didn't want a Gremlin with a stolen Ice Sword doing bonus fire damage, or not freezing people.
The doppelgangers sound a lot like pets, but with a mind of their own, kinda. The Menacing Figure would certainly cause lots of them...

You have an evil, evil mind, don't you? I mean, not just one evil - but at least two. Hence "evil, evil mind". Meanwhile, that sounds like a mob name. Maybe even a boss.
Domesticated mobs FTW!! Any "non-intelligent" mob, and some intelligent monsters, should be enslavable! It might be trickier to capture a dopelganger.
I could also colour them differently. One reason that wouldn't work well is that a few places items aren't links, but in most others, they are (so they're either black or blue, respectively). Obviously I should just fix that, though. Alternatively, I could bold or italicize them, which would avoid the colour problem.
Since when are links the only thing that can be coloured?

That's an interesting consequence that I hadn't thought of. It'd be interesting to see if it actually was as effective as you think it would be.
Why wouldn't something be as effective as I think it would be? Wrod, yo!
Shocking, shocking!
You sound like you were hit be a Gold Plated Titanium Cored Fairy Dust Laced Tortilla Wrapped Mackeral of Smiting
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Think of it as weapons drawing experience and eventually changing - like a fighter becoming a ninja. I'm not even going to mention that we currently only have two classes, but yet I will mention that weapons and armor don't have class at all?
That's pretty much what I figured.
Equipped items should be stealable, but perhaps harder to get to. I mean, I'm going to try to keep you from taking the fish out of my hand, ya know?
Also, critical hits could have a chance of critical failure and I would finally know what to do with a duct wad - fix equipment.
Well, yeah, of course they'd be harder to steal. There is a use for the Duct Wad already, though.
More allowable per day - but each attack on one individual gets progressively harder as the defenses learn to defend against you. Maximum of three attacks on any given person, and maybe after you've received 5-10 total attacks some magical shield pops up and keeps you safe for another day? The shield I just thought of, the limits come from playing Dark Throne.
I like the limit on attacks per day, although I think it might be excessive when combined with the overall difficulty progression.
I'd love it if someone was picking on me, and accidentally "dropped their wallet" or some other item of value. It would have to be something they had with them.
While I'm thinking about this - we should have 4 inventories. Equipped items - limited to what we are wearing. Carried items, limited by our "backpack" or whatever. At home items, pretty much no limit, can be used for cooking and combining. And the only truly safe items go in the bank vault. However, I can see myself getting very annoyed at moving all of this stuff around.
On raids, yeah exactly.

I agree that with raidable items, more inventories would clearly be beneficial, kinda. As you said though, actually having to manage all of your various items across several different inventories would become quite the chore.
I'm looking for the top 10 forum posts by me, and a stat doubling trophy bestowed to whomever posted them.
I was thinking more along the lines of "Most successful food dabbler" (most known food recipes), and "Most combinatorial knowledge".
Stamina could possibly be converted to spirit or to aid in recovery. This would give max level players something else to spend stamina on, and anyone that just doesn't use all of their stamina.
Good point.
Storing them should be difficult. If you think of these items as being endowed with spirit (life/intelligence) then what would actually keep them from leaving the bank on their own? Plus the actual spirit cost. Reliability should be lowered, or the in game items (NPC items?) would quickly become obsolete. How about items have their own spirit rating, which would start at 0/100. As you heal over time, they "heal" to full 100/100 spirit. At that point, they have a mind of their own. Using them could modify their spirit, and if they reach 0/100 they either need rest or could even break.
If it takes 5 spirit to use something, it should probably take at least 15 or 20 spirit to store it, and that value should go up the longer you store it. Then one day if you run out of spirit to store it, you'll get a message from the Bank saying that your stored item escaped during the night, or something similar. The spirit rating (in addition to spirit requirements) is also a possibility.
Imagine a fighter suddenly becoming a mage or vice versa? Gender switching. Your character inventories becoming randomly mixed. Oh, and on that note, why can't characters directly share items? And have you considered only one campground per account? Lailoken Chase and the Corpse could all share one abode - and items therein could also be shared.
That could be part of a neat quest. Maybe you get trapped somewhere and you switch classes or you (temporarily) lose all of your items.

On sharing items, I intentionally haven't added that, because I think that Game! is more fun if every character you play earns their own items, so I don't want to encourage item sharing between characters in the same account. Obviously, it's still possible, I just don't encourage it.
You have an evil, evil mind, don't you? I mean, not just one evil - but at least two. Hence "evil, evil mind". Meanwhile, that sounds like a mob name. Maybe even a boss.

Domesticated mobs FTW!! Any "non-intelligent" mob, and some intelligent monsters, should be enslavable! It might be trickier to capture a dopelganger.
I'd say at least 3 or 4 evils. Maybe 5.

Monster taming is a fairly neat idea too.
Since when are links the only thing that can be coloured?
They're not the only thing that can be coloured, but that's not the problem. The problem is that right now links are signified with blue. If I made all player unique items gold, that would confuse matters, as some text would be gold and be a link, and other text would be gold and not a link. Hence, I should make all item names links instead of just most of them.
Why wouldn't something be as effective as I think it would be? Wrod, yo!
Life is full of interesting surprises.
You sound like you were hit be a Gold Plated Titanium Cored Fairy Dust Laced Tortilla Wrapped Mackeral of Smiting
I think it was actually a Silver Plated Diamond Cored Leprechaun Shoe Draped BBQ Sauce Doused Mackeral of Singing.
Smasher
Regular Poster

Clans and Crafting

Post by Smasher »

I think that the best way to handle crafting of items would be through clans.

Maybe instead of clans, per se they should be guilds, or professional societies. When you decide to form a clan, you would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money, or begin with at least three separate player accounts, or something like that (to prevent cheating I think that you would need to check to make sure that one player wasn't starting the guild with multiple characters). Then you would be given an option of what type of clan or guild this was, perhaps a merchant clan which would allow you to hoard and sell various items. Maybe it would also give you a small percetnage of "ownership" over the market. A craftsman's guild would allow you access to the tools to create items (maybe when you create this guild, the guild then has access to a forge, or something like that). Then the more players of higher level joined the guild, the better the guild's items would become.

And then you could have class specific guilds which could maybe learn new skills, or something. Maybe a baking guild which after enough time to come up with new recipies for others to cook, or which could create brand new food items.

I think that any player generated content should come through guilds or clans. This would basically force newer players to level up and to interact with other players to enjoy upper-level content and game play. It may also help to aleviate the need to create new quests and monsters for upper level characters.

Just my thoughts, sorry I keep having so many, I just have been really enjoying game.
I like to crush stuff!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: Clans and Crafting

Post by Mad Merlin »

Smasher wrote:I think that the best way to handle crafting of items would be through clans.

Maybe instead of clans, per se they should be guilds, or professional societies. When you decide to form a clan, you would have to pay a ridiculous amount of money, or begin with at least three separate player accounts, or something like that (to prevent cheating I think that you would need to check to make sure that one player wasn't starting the guild with multiple characters). Then you would be given an option of what type of clan or guild this was, perhaps a merchant clan which would allow you to hoard and sell various items. Maybe it would also give you a small percetnage of "ownership" over the market. A craftsman's guild would allow you access to the tools to create items (maybe when you create this guild, the guild then has access to a forge, or something like that). Then the more players of higher level joined the guild, the better the guild's items would become.

And then you could have class specific guilds which could maybe learn new skills, or something. Maybe a baking guild which after enough time to come up with new recipies for others to cook, or which could create brand new food items.

I think that any player generated content should come through guilds or clans. This would basically force newer players to level up and to interact with other players to enjoy upper-level content and game play. It may also help to aleviate the need to create new quests and monsters for upper level characters.
Interesting ideas overall, it would basically turn the clan into a class in and of itself (different types, new skills as it becomes more powerful, etc), I like it. I'm thinking you'd probably only be able to join one clan (at a time, there'd probably be ways to leave a clan too), which means people would probably develop strong preferences for one clan type or another (I'd say overall that's good, it generates discussions (and flamewars)). The other notable plus of clans is that makes people want to invite their friends to play (to join the same clan, to make it more powerful, of course). There could also be a number of new Wise Sage top 10s related to clans.

For clan created items, the clan could also be mentioned in the description of the item, which would give further reason to not only join a clan, but to generate new content.
Smasher wrote:Just my thoughts, sorry I keep having so many, I just have been really enjoying game.
Nothing to be sorry about there.
Smasher
Regular Poster

Post by Smasher »

Yeah, and going back to the magic items thing, perhaps that clan description could have a certain "magical" aspect associated with it. So two different crafting clans could create the same item, but since they would be associated with different clans, they would have slightly different properties.

I was thinking that a clan would basically function like a special class/character with it's own inventory, special campsite (or perhaps Clan house?) combinational knowledge, etc. It could function exactly like a character in the game, expcet no one single person controls it. It would be controlled through a charter.

For example, if Rux was wealthy enough to start his own clan, he would be the person in charge of the clan, he could control all aspects of the Clan, (including who to allow entry) or he could perhaps give some responsibilty to clan members. Or if a group of five players started a clan, they could figure out a way to set up who controls the clans aspects, perhaps they could each share full control (which would provide an interesting if noit dysfunctional outcome) or they could decide to vote, whatever. The charter gets set going in.

Then as more people join the clan (as I said before) the clan would gain experience. (Maybe the clan could level but it's experience would be dictated by the collective experience of it's members, and also maybe by how many items have been crafted, etc.) As the clan leveled it would have the ability to imbue it's items with better skills, or whatever. This way clans are always competing for newbies and it might help to keep the clan from getting too closed. The major issue I think would be trying to balance this out. There would have to be a cap at some point, I suppose so that the items couldn't get too ridiculously powerful. Maybe, it would cost the crafting clan something in order to create items, maybe they would need to spend a massive amount of gold to get to the next ability level. I dunno.

I also think that having a banking clan would be interesting. Perhaps it would be a way for individuals to save their money. You could have multiple banking clans competing for you to save your hard earned Gold coin. These banks would charge a small daily fee (maybe .5% for balances over 100,000, 50 gold for anything less, or each clan could decide) and then the Clans could loan this out to other characters, or even better other Clans. Like maybe a certain Clan would loan out the startup capital for you to start your clan, but in return they get a 10% controlling interest in your clan and they get a small fee for each item you sell, something like that. Or they could also make loans to help you get that special Mage skill, but would automatically get 50% of all gold you plunder from monsters and from what you get from sale of items. OR they could set the terms.

I dunno. It would be fun to see Game! embody more of this sort of social interaction. It would be more engaging, and when you are doing things other than fighting, the timing is not such a big deal.
I like to crush stuff!