Deadly hiccups

Do you play Game! too? Maybe you should discuss it in here.
null
Regular Poster

Deadly hiccups

Post by null »

My wlan often gets hiccups (random short disconects or slowdowns) so I usualy get a timeout when surfing, then I try again and continue.

But if i get a timeout while battiling in Game! there is a problem. If I try again the action data is sent again and I offten start another battle with bareley any HP and MP and thats not good.

The same can happen if you click attack more tha once before the page loads.

My solution:

Before starting a battle check the timestamp. If its not the newest just load the newest page again and ignore the action.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Well, the t parameter in the urls isn't really used right now, it's just there to work around caching issues (even with the correct cache headers set, some people were still getting cached copies). The other problem is that some people (ab)use refresh when they simply want to repeat an action, and you can't have it both ways.
null
Regular Poster

Post by null »

What would someone try to repeat (using refresh)? (if its good it can be added to the game... if not it can be prevented)
Rux
Regular Poster

lots

Post by Rux »

casting spells, eating food, casting spells, attacking, casting spells, using potions, casting spells, and if you're a fighter going to the profile page and casting spells.

i'm subtle
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: lots

Post by Mad Merlin »

Rux wrote:casting spells, eating food, casting spells, attacking, casting spells, using potions, casting spells, and if you're a fighter going to the profile page and casting spells.

i'm subtle
At least profile multicasting is on the TODO list...
null
Regular Poster

Post by null »

I think most people have to heal after every fight if they fight in the highest level zone. So this only applies for 50lvl (and maybe a few bellow) characters. So it would help most of the players...

Or...

You could check only when starting a new fight, so you can rapidly cast spells, wait for the page to load and then do it again if you want.

Or...

You could add a safe mode to preferences to turn the checking on or off.

Or...

Add a cast-spell-till-i-can-and-than-cast-some-more button to make ruxes life easier ^_^
dissonance
Regular Poster

Post by dissonance »

I have found when I get stuck on a page load the best thing to do is click "Character Selection". Then when that page does load you can go right back where you were without performaning an action by clicking on your character.