Mages vs Fighters

Balance problems? Two legs are better than one!
Entity
Regular Poster

Mages vs Fighters

Post by Entity »

Uplevelling fighters is much easier in the game, as the mage has no real good way to defend itself, or to attack enemies.
A mages strength lies in fighting with spells, wich are mighty expensive. So its quite hard to get a mage to go a few levels up, whereas with the Fighter, Just buy a cheap sword and a shield and off you go hacking away.
Would be nice if there were some less expensive spells with the same damage as the sword. So my Mage could have about the same progress as my Fighter.
That, or the Mage has some other important role elsewhere in the game to make it worthwhile to keep him around.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

As you gain more levels with your mage, I suspect you will find that they become a fair bit more powerful than an equally experienced fighter. Playing a mage is a bit of a tradeoff in that while they are a little harder to get started, they become very powerful.

With regards to more class distinction, it's definitely something I plan to do, in that certain classes will have capabilities that other classes do not, beyond just different battle skills.
Rux
Regular Poster

mages still pwn

Post by Rux »

with mages it kinda sucks in the beginning but then somewhere around level 12+ they become a mighty force not to be messed with. Fighters are the exact opposite. later on they take forever to kill stuff. The quickest way to the top is definitely with a mage.
thousandinone
Regular Poster

Post by thousandinone »

Comparing where I am with my level 35 fighter to where my mage was at 35...

My Attack is way higher (obviously), my health is notably higher, my mp is dismal, and my defense is lower (probably due to dual-wielding vs. using a shield, and the defense reduction from fighter spells).

Actual damage being put out is higher on average from the fighter than it was from my mage due to crits- misses offset this somewhat, but not extremely.

Staying power is a little better as well- Mp is a major limiting factor for mages, And I usually sent my mage to the healer with a good chunk of health still left; the mage can't do much when he's out of mp, but the fighter is far less reliant on mp.

Additionally, it appears the extra mp gained by using a mage is significantly higher than the extra health gained by using a fighter. But the mage will almost always burn through all his mp each set of fights, whereas obviously the fighter avoids burning through all his hp.

By level 35, based on my experience alone:
The fighter can usually do more fights without healing
The fighter spends less every time he heals
The fighter spends less on skills*

*- Fighter skills seem to have cost me less in total by level 35 than mage ones did Granted, I wasn't exactly tracking every bit of gold spent, but overall I seem to have more to work with. I don't know how many more fighter skills there are to unlock, and whether the fighter skill costs ramp upwards later, but thats just the impression I have now.