Combining

Do you play Game! too? Maybe you should discuss it in here.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Combining

Post by keybounce »

So I had the idea to make a spiked shield. Combining a dagger and a shield, to make a second weapon and shield.

But I got a message along the lines of I'd hurt myself if I tried to combine that. And, my stuff wasn't used up.

Nice. So, I went down the list, trying to combine the dagger with anything I had.

How do I get a running charm out of two daggers?
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

You don't, actually, you'd need to use higher level items.

Let me explain... When you try a combination that doesn't actually work, there's a chance your character will actually try it anyways. In this case you get a random new item that's less than or equal to in level of (the average of) the two combined items, or one item from a predefined set of items. That's just what happens when you force round pegs into square holes.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

But I got a running charm from two daggers.

> In this case you get a random new item that's less than or equal to in level of (the average of) the two combined items, or one item from a predefined set of items.

Hmm... So, if I combine a bunch of level-0 or level-1 items, I'll get something from the predefined set. Wonder if they're any good?

Alright, checking my inventory, it was a _small_ running charm (level 2).

Alright, so I can't duck-tape a spiked shield together. What can I try ...
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:> In this case you get a random new item that's less than or equal to in level of (the average of) the two combined items, or one item from a predefined set of items.

Hmm... So, if I combine a bunch of level-0 or level-1 items, I'll get something from the predefined set. Wonder if they're any good?
That really depends on your definition of good. You'll probably enjoy the result if you're a pack rat.
Rick
Regular Poster

Post by Rick »

Mad Merlin wrote:That really depends on your definition of good. You'll probably enjoy the result if you're a pack rat.
Speaking only for myself, I spend a little bit of time each week hammering items together that I know for a fact do not combine - for the sole purpose of obtaining one or more of the items from the "predefined set" (However it used to be easier to get those items :( )
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

You mean like

Code: Select all

* Your Useful Knickknack has been put on the market for 2,004 gold pieces.
    * Your Useful Knickknack sold immediately to Rick for 2,004 gold pieces.
Alright, I'll raise my markup some more :-)
Rick
Regular Poster

Post by Rick »

keybounce wrote: Alright, I'll raise my markup some more :-)
Yeah, if an item sell immediately to someone then you know you are not charging enough!! :wink:

(though at this point I regret opening my mouth) :)
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Tee hee. I figured that if two small shields made a UFO, then two tinier shields might make a mini-ufo.

Got an "olive" :-).