[DONE] Email Alerts

Everybody has feature ideas, come share yours!
Smasher
Regular Poster

[DONE] Email Alerts

Post by Smasher »

I have read through a lot of these ideas, but haven't seen anything relating to this.

I thought it would be neat if the alert system would email you the in-game messages. I don't know how they are set up, but maybe at some point, there could be tiers and you could subscribe to different message levels from your preferences pages. So, I would type in my email address and then choose to get alerts sent to me whenever my items got sold, or I get messaged in Game!, or I get raided, etc. That way I can be out of game, but still know when things happen.

This is a great game and I love the artwork. It gets better everyday!
I like to crush stuff!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

You're right, nobody has suggested that yet. It's an interesting idea, especially for, say, the Swap Shop, or if someone messages you. I agree that you'd probably need different settings for different messages, as of late Rux has had a penchant for cleaning out the Market, so if you had 100 items up for sale, you could get 100 rapid fire emails in a minute or two if email settings were done the dumb and easy way.

I'm thinking there'd be a couple groups of messages that you could enable or disable separately, such as:
- Market sales/returns
- Swap Shop offers/trades
- player messages
- Campground raids

In particular for the Market, you'd need some sort of email batching, probably a "send no more than x emails every n (second/minute/hour/etc)(s)" option, either overall or per category, then further emails get batched together and sent out at the beginning of the next time period.
Smasher
Regular Poster

Post by Smasher »

Yes that is what I was thinking.

It would be opt-in or optional so for now it may not be too terrible to do it the quick way, but yes ideally there would be different levels, or types of messages to receive, and even have a batching.

From a coding perspective, I am not sure what you would have to do to do batching, I guess it would have to database + some form of cron or other schedule device.
I like to crush stuff!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »