Mages not implemented yet?

Oh yeah? Well my Mage can beat up your Mage!
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Mages not implemented yet?

Post by Mad Merlin »

Yes, I know that Mages don't really serve a purpose just yet, however this forum is here in anticipation of Mages being implemented relatively soon, so just sit tight. In the mean time, feel free to suggest ideas.

Edit: Mages have been implemented for ages. Unstickied.
Last edited by Mad Merlin on Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rux
Regular Poster

magic

Post by Rux »

more magic! :D
stfrn
Regular Poster

Post by stfrn »

Mages! \o/
I'll post my ideas here later when I'm waiting for my stamina to get back :P
Rux
Regular Poster

hold his own

Post by Rux »

i've been using a mage and he's been holding his own pretty well as a fighter.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Re: hold his own

Post by Mad Merlin »

Rux wrote:i've been using a mage and he's been holding his own pretty well as a fighter.
Well technically mages are just fighters that start with lower stats right now. I could fix that if you want.
Zealot
Regular Poster

yeah

Post by Zealot »

I have a mage to, I can't wait to see what magic we can use!
I am holding my own as well as a fighting mage, just waiting for my magical abilties to awaken :lol:
"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh."
-Neitzsche
blargas
Regular Poster

tide over the die-hards

Post by blargas »

Perhaps in the meantime, while there is no magic, mages should get other bonuses to counter their crude stats, perhaps a special pet, or better potion effects.

It would be faster to add spells later if people saw mages as a viable (but broken) class before, so that you have a spread of different leveled mages in the game.
Waiting for the player base to play through the levels while you add appropriate spells could, however provide a better foundation approach, but once you have a staggered spell strength system (say that 5 times fast) you could put it in the game and be ready for testing much more quickly.
everything i say is a lie..... except that.... and that too.... also that...
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Well technically Mages are viable right now in that the only difference from Fighters is that they have lower starting stats. At one point, they had a lot of trouble getting past level 0, hence the warning, though this isn't so true anymore. Otherwise they progress the same (same bonuses and level requirements) as Fighters. When Mages are implemented, I'll roll back all of the Mage's levels to 0 (but leave the experience as is) as I plan to change the level requirements and level bonuses. In this way there will still be a large spread of Mages right from the start, but people won't have covered the lower levels extensively. Though I suspect that when they are implemented, a number of people will give them a try anyways, so that problem will solve itself.
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

Ok, so Mages are largely implemented now. Start a new mage and give them a shot!

I should probably unsticky this, then again it's not like it'll make it significantly less visible...
Rux
Regular Poster

sweet

Post by Rux »

mages are awesome. no so much in the first few levels but they're freakin sweet in the higher levels
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

I've been leveling two fighters and two mages since I started yesterday. Overall I would say that getting to level 7 (the most I've been able to do in one day from level 0 and without outside help) is doable on both classes. Both classes develop at a good pace and once I hit level 10 (today) on my Mage I was able to kill the boss for the 3rd quest (something my level 9 fighter can't do yet).

I would say the biggest difference between Mages and Fighters currently is that Mages might make less money because they pay for healing to restore mana and HP more often. To me that's just the spice of life though and I'm happy for the differences between the classes.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Level 7 in one day????
Mad Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Mad Merlin »

keybounce wrote:Level 7 in one day????
Yes, it's fairly doable if you make a point of always adventuring in the top level areas available to you.
keybounce
Regular Poster

Post by keybounce »

Oh, the areas where I would have to heal after every two battles, wiping out all my profit? Meh.

I'm too much like Haley, going after the loot :-)
evev
Regular Poster

Post by evev »

keybounce wrote:Oh, the areas where I would have to heal after every two battles, wiping out all my profit?
Or even after every single battle, depending on the circumstances.

In my opinion you are wrong about "wiping out all my profit" part. Monsters on your level drop more gold than most any monster below your level. Combine this with the Healer's very reasonable prices (and maybe a Leprechaun) and you can still make 100+ gold per fight at lower levels, even if you need to heal after every battle. Overall, I think the amount of gold a player sacrifices in the short-term by hunting at his level is a pittance compared to the gains from killing tougher monsters sooner.